Accidental Concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide Ingestion Associated with Portal Venous Gas

Accidental Concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide Ingestion Associated with Portal Venous Gas

Eslam W. Youssef, Victor Chukwueke, Lina Elsamaloty, Sherif Moawad, Haitham Elsamaloty

Abstract


A case of a 52-year old male patient who presented to the emergency department with severe nausea and vomiting following accidental ingestion of H2O2. A computed tomography (CT) abdomen performed at our institution demonstrated extensive portal venous gas throughout the liver with few gas droplets seen in the extrahepatic portal vein portion. Pneumatosis was also noted in the wall of the gastric antrum. Upper GI Endoscopy was done revealing diffuse hemorrhagic gastritis and mild duodenal bulb erosion. The patient was treated with hyperbaric oxygen. On the second day of admission, the patient was able to eat without difficulty or pain. Accidental ingestion of high concentration H2O2 solution has been shown to cause extensive injury to surrounding tissues. The injury occurs via three main mechanisms: corrosive damage, oxygen gas formation, and lipid peroxidation. We report a case of accidental ingestion of a highly concentrated (35%) solution of H2O2 causing portal venous gas.

Keywords


H2O2; venous gas; computed tomography; ultrasound; endoscopy; pneumatosis



DOI: https://doi.org/10.3941/jrcr.v12i8.3253